The Mayan, indigenous people of Mexico and Central America, believe that a woman’s uterus is the center of her being. Any time a women or a young girl would experience a trauma or sudden impact to her tailbone/ pelvic area a massage is performed to ensure that the uterus is back into alignment. The mayan’s believe that if the uterus is misaligned, everything else in her life will be off balance.
The goddess of Mayan Abdominal massage- Goddess Ixchel
It would not be right to talk about this practice without first honoring one of the Mayan’s most admired and called upon deity for this work, Goddess Ixchel. Ixchel is one of the 9 sacred sprits of Mayan and is associated with bodies of water such as lakes, river, and waterfalls. Goddess Ixchel has 3 stages of womanhood and is commonly represented with a snake on her head and adorned in beautiful emerald. The three stages of Goddess Ixchel are~
The Maiden- goddess of weaving, fertility, and childbirth
The Mother- goddess of fertility, motherhood, and the moon
The Crone- goddess of wisdom and medicine.
The “wandering” uterus
Ligaments that support the uterus give the ability to move in order to accommodate normal physiological functioning such as menstruation, ovulation, and pregnancy. Throughout life the uterus can move due to continual jarring exercises, lifting heavy things (especially during menses), crossing your legs, childbirth, tailbone injuries, chronic constipation and more. These can all cause imbalances and symptoms of the uterus.
Some signs of a displaced uterus can include:
- Yeast and bladder infections
- Fertility issues
- Painful periods and ovulation
- PCOS and cysts
- Abnormal uterine bleeding
what is Maya Abdominal therapy?
Maya therapy is a noninvasive, yet deep abdominal and uterine massage aimed to realign what has been moved or out of balance. It is used to help guide organs to an optimal position, thereby enhancing the body’s five systems of flow—arterial, venal, nerve, lymph and ch’ulel (Mayan for “life force”)—improving organ function and minimizing symptoms of dysfunction.
Founded on ancient techniques, it is best known for helping misalignment or congestion in the reproductive organs of both men and women. In addition, it also address many common digestive disorders.
Mayan abdominal therapy helps with:
- Alleviating congestion in lymph and organs
- Improves vital blood flow to organs and uterus
- Releases emotional and energetic tension
- Healthier ovaries (and prostrate for men)
- Uterus has clear line of communication to brain so it receives right amount of estrogen/progesterone
- Fertility and female reproductive health
- Pre and post partum care
- Male reproductive health (prostate)
- The digestive and nervous system
- Womb and ancestral healing
Contraindications for Maya Abdominal therapy
In general no direct massage is applied over the uterus in the following situations-
- During menstrual cycle
- Within 6 weeks post normal vaginal birth or 3 months post Caesarian birth
- When IUD is present for birth control
- If there is cancer or active infection in the abdominal cavity
- During first trimester of pregnancy
Want to work together? You can book your initial Arvigo Maya Abdominal session with me here
Out of state/country or not in the local area? Find a therapist in your area here