This is a delicious and tremendously nourishing soup for any season to help bring about a calm and peaceful mind.
Sweet potatoes are naturally more sattvic than white potatoes and increase Ojas in the body to help boost immunity and enhance vitality. Sweet potato is supportive for digestion and contains ample fiber to encourage good elimination.
Cardamom is a wonderful spice to help aid in digestion and cleanses the lymphatic system. It is beautifully aromatic and increases Sattvic qualities in the body and mind as well.
This soup is a wonderful tridoshic meal to have anytime, but especially in the winter and spring months.
- 3 sweet potatoes
- 1/2 diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 cup greek plain yogurt (I use forager project plain cashew yogurt)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil (baking)
- 1/2 tbsp grape seed oil (high temp cooking)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 cups filtered water
- Preheat oven to 425 F
- Peel and dice sweet potatoes
- In a medium size bowl, mix sweet potatoes with olive oil, salt and pepper
- Place diced sweet potatoes on baking sheet and bake for 30-35 min, or until edges are slightly brown and soft in the middle
- On a separate pot, warm up grape seed oil and add diced onions, garlic and fresh ginger- temper until an aromatic smell arises (usually about 3-4 min)
- Add cooked sweet potatoes, cardamom, and cayenne to the onion mixture and stir
- Add the 3 cups filtered water and let simmer for about 5- 10 min
- With an immersion blender add the soup with the 1/4 cup greek plain yogurt and blend, add more water if needed or until you find desired consistency
- Top with crushed pistachios, yogurt, and pinch of black pepper